“You only buy links”, “why such budgets”, “I can do it myself”. Sound familiar? U.S. too. Therefore, keep a list of what works your sites get to the top, get traffic and sales.
- Niche analysis and strategy formation. The task of this stage is to determine how certain sites are in the top and what elements of the strategy need to be implemented on the promoted site in order to get maximum traffic.
- Making forecasts and calculating the return on investment. About how to make traffic forecasts – we have already written a post in our FB. Based on these predictions and niche analysis, you need to calculate the estimated ROI on SEO traffic. And if in 1 year the investment does not pay off, it is better to look for another channel to attract traffic to the site.
- Collecting the semantic core. This is the basis of SEO-promotion, on its basis the structure of the site, content on the pages is formed, the dynamics of positions is monitored and a link strategy is formed. An incorrectly composed core will “lead” your site to the wrong place, and an irrationally large core will eat up a lot of time and slow down the receipt of results. Therefore, the tactics of collecting semantics is one of the important points in the formation of a general strategy.
- Formation of the site structure. Based on the semantic core and its clustering, a decision is made which pages should be on the site in order to get the maximum traffic. At the same time, there should be no semantic duplication of content, and the structure and hierarchy of the menu should be user-friendly.
- Formation of the structure of pages and technical specifications for the text. In modern SEO, writing TK in the form of “3000 characters text with keys” is no longer enough. It is necessary to analyze in detail the structure of competitors’ landing pages, and no, not “do the same”, but do better. Structural elements should include not only text, but also pictures, icons, infographics, block layout, important blocks of text, grab buttons, interactive elements, and much more, depending on the niche.
- Writing Meta Tags. One of the clearest tasks. The SEO specialist generates title, description tags, as well as h1-h2 headers, by which google recognizes the content of the page. In addition, description forms a site snippet in search results and affects the percentage of clicks on your site.
- Technical SEO audit, the formation of technical specifications for the programmer. The site is parsed by special services and checked against a technical checklist. The task of this stage is to make sure that google indexes everything you need on the site well, and does not see anything unnecessary, the latter means various specific SEO bugs – duplicates, technical pages, broken links, unnecessary redirects and much more.
- Studying trends and applying them to a promotion strategy. SEO is a rather volatile direction, in which the general principle “change or die” operates. What worked yesterday may not work today, and tomorrow it may even be a negative ranking factor. In addition, the task of SEO specialists is to understand the principles of search engine ranking, and adapt the strategy of work to new information.
- Analysis of traffic dynamics. Comparative traffic dynamics can tell a lot about the project. You can analyze your site in relation to the sites of competitors, and thus answer your question, due to what “they” are in the top, and “we” are not. You can compare different pages of your site of the same type and conclude where one page is better than another and extrapolate the positive experience to other parts of the site.
- Link strategy formation. Before building links to a site, you need to understand which links are needed and where. For this, the link profile of competitors is analyzed, conclusions are drawn about how many links are needed. And on the basis of the semantic core and the current position of the site, a plan is developed for landing pages and anchors. Only after the formation of such a plan can you start getting links.
- Selection of donor sites. Long-list of sites is formed on the basis of competitor analysis and niche analysis on the relevant topic. After that, each donor is checked for many parameters, such as the volume of organic traffic, the ratio of inbound to outbound links, DR and DA metrics, and many others.
- Writing texts for posting links. Most of the links for the promoted site are placed in articles on another site, and the SEO specialist is also responsible for these articles. You need to find suitable copywriters, form a technical specification for them, order, then check what was written, carefully insert a link there, and only then the article will be ready for posting.
- Placement of links. Depending on the link strategy, as well as the characteristics of the niche and region, the placement of links is ordered through exchanges or directly from webmasters, after which the links are checked.
- Result analytics and strategy adjustment. After each stage of the work carried out, or monthly, it is necessary to analyze the results obtained, positive and negative trends, and then introduce changes to the strategy and work plan. It is this kind of constant analysis and improvement of the strategy that allows you to get good positions and SEO traffic.
- Analysis of traffic and site conversion. In addition to the fact that visitors come to your site, it is important what they do there. Especially for business, it is important whether they buy on the site or not. Therefore, first you need to set up analytics, and then monthly monitor conversion rates and give usability recommendations, how to increase the percentage of orders from the site.
- Consulting the client, programmers, answering questions and everything else. It is important that the SEO specialist can not only prepare the work “according to plan”, but also explain their meaning, nuances, organize the implementation process on the client’s side, and much more. Sometimes communications take a good third of the working time and are no less important than the process itself.
SEO analyst Sergey Koksharov in his blog devaka.ru back in 2012 compiled a diagram of the distribution of SEO specialist’s work by type
I can only say that the percentage can change from project to project, but the list of works and proportions remain more or less similar.
So yes, SEO is time consuming and expensive. And this is not only texts and links, but a whole complex set of works that leads to an increase in organic traffic to your site, and as a result – to sales and profits.