In our era of globalization and informatization, probably only a lazy person or a pensioner did not think about his space on the Internet. Websites are created one by one, but as in any business project, only a few remain afloat.
The problem is simple: a site without competent promotion is a useless piece of code and wasted hosting space. And by promotion, I now mean not only SEO, but the holistic process of delivering information about the site to its target audience and / or achieving certain tasks by the site.
The strategy is defining. For example, it is foolish to try to promote a website with a product, a limited batch of which needs to be sold urgently, by SEO, and not come back with this topic anymore. For this, there is contextual advertising. Or focus on getting traffic to the site you want to sell links from. For this, site performance is more important.
As you can see, choosing the wrong path, we risk investing a lot of effort, time and money in useless work. And be disappointed. And score.
What are the types of sites in terms of the logic of promotion
1. Selling site. And at this stage it is practically not important whether it is a full-fledged online store, or the site of a company that provides services.
The important thing is that the client is important for the site, who finds this site and buys (orders the service) on it.
In this case, the main path for our site is search engines. Organic SERPs (where they get through SEO) and contextual advertising.
We choose SEO when the business is permanent, reliable, year-round and you can wait 2-3 months. The advantage of SEO is the longevity of the results and the reduction in the cost of going to the site over time.
The context is when we want to get instant results, when we are testing a niche, when a product is seasonal, or when we need to sell a limited batch of a product. Context is often used in addition to SEO, when you need to quickly get traffic while the site is just gaining positions.
Of course, it is not enough just to get a visitor on the site, it is also important that he becomes a client (makes a conversion), but this is a completely different story.
2. Business card website. Here, by “business card” I mean a site that does not sell itself, but is needed so that already interested people can go to it, familiarize themselves with the materials and, possibly, decide whether to take further actions or not.
A typical example: websites of photographers, psychologists or yoga centers. That is, those areas where the personality of the performer is important. For example, when ordering business cards, it is hardly important for you “what the printing manager is breathing with”. The site contains terms, prices – and this information is enough to make a decision whether to order or not. But when you see any psychologist’s site, even its certificates and cost, this is usually very little to understand whether you should go to it or not.
What to do with such sites:
1) make a quality resource or promote it yourself. People will “come” to your personality and skill, and on the site they will get to know your work in more detail or find out the actual data – prices, address
2) SMM – if your genre is entertaining in one way or another, you need to be presented exactly the way people go to have fun – these are social networks. Plus, it is in social networks that there is a great opportunity to post not only your work, but also your personality.
3. Website for monetization. “Making money on the Internet” is not only a myth that lured honest citizens into the dashing 90s, but a very real, working and practically legal way of earning money.
There are 2 main types of earnings on sites:
- selling links
- traffic sale
In the first case, for the amount of money earned from a site, its indicators are important: PR and domain rank, and to increase them, you need to place the site in directories, get links to it from sites that already have indicators (and from sites of a similar subject matter).
To sell traffic, namely to place contextual ads on it, it is important that the site is in demand (a car site will earn many times more than a cutting and sewing site), ads are placed in a prominent place, and, of course, the volume of traffic on the site is important. And to get traffic, either a high-quality resource that people will know and find themselves, or a site’s position in search engines is important.
However, a lot has already been written about making money on websites. And at this stage, we just need to decide how exactly the site will earn, and how it needs to be promoted for this.