A case on how in a year of systematic work you can:
- Increase search traffic by 75%
- Increase sales by 2 times
What’s at the start?
Start of work: 09.2018
Client: online store of bags, wallets, belts
The site had good traffic, but due to the lack of positive dynamics, I decided to change the contractor.
Task on the project:
The main task was to increase SEO traffic on the site, especially in the priority key areas – men’s, women’s wallets, men’s bags and belts.
The working process
We always start working on a project from the preparatory stage. You need to understand what the main mistakes and shortcomings are present, what points of growth are on the project, what should be emphasized at the beginning of the promotion, how to choose the optimal path.
To do this, we analyzed the current results, and also made an analysis of the main competitors in priority areas. As it turned out, for the highest-frequency queries in the top, there are marketplaces and very large sites with which it is almost impossible to compete.
Based on this, it was decided to concentrate on bringing mid-frequency and low-frequency queries to the TOP – on the pages of categories and filtering. For them, the issuance was more diverse and the competition was less + this traffic was more conversion, more chances to reach the TOP-3. We also saw growth points – competitors generate page headers for filtering by templates that do not contain exact occurrences of the main queries of the clusters, there are not enough key entries, and texts are not everywhere.
Semantics and content
Several directions were worked out very carefully every month:
- the widest possible semantics was collected
- an optimal structure was compiled for new filter landing pages and filter intersections
- for old and new pages h1 was written “manually” not template. Thus, it turned out to optimize as much as possible for the most frequent request in the cluster + made it more readable for users
- manual meta tags for filter pages were worked out in order to cover the cluster of requests as much as possible and make the snippet as attractive as possible
- for each such page, a technical specification was prepared, according to which the copywriter wrote the texts
- analyzed existing texts – many had to be rewritten due to low uniqueness or overspam
- prepared semantics for writing blog articles
It should also be emphasized that on this project, the copywriter constantly wrote texts for product pages, which was an additional plus.
After a technical audit, we found and fixed a whole list of problems:
- eliminated duplicate meta tags
- closed with the nofollow attribute links to service end-to-end pages (Favorites, compare, login, registration …), as well as external links
- Sort pages, search pages and other duplicate pages were closed from indexing by the robots meta tag
- removed from the sitemap products, categories and brands that gave a 404 server response
- improved the robots.txt file
- improved download speed
- removed the partial closing of texts with the Read more button – implemented the display of texts on pages completely
- removed the display of texts on the sorting and pagination pages
- made url lowercase, set up 301 redirects
Unfortunately, the client could not implement the Ukrainian version of the site due to the technical features of the CMS site.
What was already on the project before the start of SEO work:
- Good technical implementation of filtering – the CNC was implemented on the pages for which there was traffic, the rest of the filtering pages were implemented on the site not in the form of links (via a POST request), and when pressed, a url with a get parameter was formed with closing from indexing via meta -tag robots
- The product pages had internal links to the corresponding low and medium filtering categories.
The products themselves in this niche do not bring traffic – therefore, it is logical to transfer the internal weight to the relevant product filter pages.
- On the listing pages, the same data from clause 2 was loaded in the list mode only without links – which made it possible to add additional entries for filtering pages, which had a positive effect on the relevance
We analyzed the existing inbound links in comparison with competitors and found the following shortcomings:
- the site was partially promoted by low-quality links through the sape exchange (which, after leaving for another contractor, began to disappear)
- very high percentage of anchor links compared to competitors
- links were built only on 9 pages of the site
- very few links led to the main page of the site
- only a small number of links from Ukrainian sites led to the site
As a result, we drew up a plan for the formation of the link mass, taking into account the above disadvantages:
- increased the percentage of links to the main page
- on pages with a lot of anchor links and poor results for positions – increased the% of non-anchor links
- turned on maximum randomness – formed links to many medium- and low-frequency pages
What links did you build?
- crowd links (forums, comments)
- article links on trust Ukrainian sites (mainly media) through exchanges and outreach
They made a bias precisely on the quality of the link mass, and not on its quantity. After half a year of work, the budget for links was increased by 40%. exhausted normal sites and did not want to reduce the dynamics.
After the implementation of a good h1, title and text indexing, many groups of queries entered the TOP 10-20 and with the help of 1-3 links it was possible to raise them to the TOP-5. Higher frequency groups gradually began to grow.
It should be noted that there is seasonality in this niche, and in some months it is quite significant – therefore, it is worth comparing the results with respect to traffic and sales of the last year, and also analyzing the dynamics by positions in google.
For a year of work, we managed to increase traffic by 75% – below is a screenshot of a comparison of monthly traffic in 2019 and 2018.
Apparently, in some priority areas, the site has overtaken all competitors.
When starting SEO work, it is very important to decide on a general promotion strategy. In this project, we focused specifically on medium- and low-frequency requests for the most converting business areas. This is especially important in the context of a trend, when only aggregators and large sites occupy the TOP according to high-frequency queries.
At the same time, the emphasis on narrower categories allows you to take top positions quite quickly and with small budgets and brings targeted SEO traffic to the site.